Saturday, September 28, 2013

Day 44 - Survivor at Hope

So much to write about today.  I'll have a morning post and one later tonight.

Yesterday was Round 2 of Chemo.  True to my commitment, I did NOT bolt out of the room.  Round 2  was so much easier. I knew what was going to happen and was better prepared mentally for the day ahead.  Big shout out to my favorite son, Thomas, for spending the whole morning with me.

Today, I drove down to Tacoma to get the follow-up Neulasta shot.  As I was waiting for my shot this morning, I played around with the "Kids at Hope" pledge, which is near and dear to my heart, and reworded it for Cancer Survivors.  Let me know what you think.  Naomi suggested "patient" instead of  "survivor".  What do you think?

Yesterday, my chemo appointment was concurrent with my doctor's appointment.  So, after they had me all hooked up and dripping KCA Cocktail into my body, I wheeled my IV to the doctor's exam room and met with Dr. Senecal.  Tom came with me and listened for most of it.  I asked him to leave the room for the actual exam.  He was very quick to agree.  ;-)

GREAT NEWS!!The KCA Cocktail has the cancer scared, dying, and on the run already!  Way to go, KCA Soldiers!! The upside of having some of the cancer areas visible is that we can see if it is expanding or in retreat.  Those cancer cells are dying like fruit flies hit with the right kind of RAID and a strong cold front!!  That was powerful to my hope-o-meter, yesterday!

Lary Copolla posted a great quote that I've seen before, but that has taken on special meaning this past 44 days.  "God gives us only what we can handle.  Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-a**".  While I'm usually not one to mix God and bad-a** in the same sentence, I'm going to risk it because I know from life experiences that God has a sense of humor.  :-)

Symbolic of how much better Round 2 went... Remember in Round One where my blood pressure was 165/something and I ripped off the BP cuff and bolted from the room?  Well, in Round 2, my blood pressure was only 111/75.  I bet most of you healthy runners my age don't have such enviable BP. 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. What a great post! Shrinking cancer cells...Uh huh, Uh huh, Uh huh...most definitely KCA. What is impressive (not surprising) is that you are doing it with style, dignity, grace, a sense of humor and smooth legs! Keep rockin' the hats, fighting the fight and the rest of us will continue praying and cheering you on from the side lines. GO TEAM SIMPSON!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy, that things went well and especially happy that those little mean bugs are dyin' off already!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Kathryn! I was actually just checking out a few of your posts and had quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete