Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Day 20 - From Surreal to Real - Facing Reality

Thanks, Kathy Collins!
Big shout-out to my walking buddies this week (Michelle, Margot, and Sheila)!  Thank you! 

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "Do something that scares you every day". 

From the moment you hear the words, "You have cancer", you live with fear every day.  Biopsies scare you, PET Scans scare you, other invasive procedures scare you, words and statistics scare you, the phone calls from the doctors scare you, telling your kids really scares you... but if you want to live, really live, then you get up, every day, face the fear, find the goodness inside and the humor outside, and choose to live... really live!

Sometimes you will be so overwhelmed (like I was today) that you will question your capacity to walk your own talk.  But keep talking and keep walking!! It is ok to be afraid.  It is not ok to let that fear drive your decision making or drive you to Canada.

Chemo School overwhelmed me today.  Things suddenly got very real very fast!  So fast that after about 10 minutes, I abruptly excused myself to "borrow the restroom" and ran to the nearest exterior door for fresh air. I took several deep breaths, regained my composure and returned to the room. I was not the best student today.  But I will Ace the exam!

Thanks, Sandy and Mareen!
Chemotherapy starts tomorrow (Thursday).  It will be every three weeks for six cycles.  The last treatment will be right before Christmas.  The slow-drip-KCA-cocktail will include Herceptin, Taxotere, and Carboplatin.  I'll also get an immune system booster shot the next day.  It will have something called "Neulasta" in it.  Kinda funny name for that drug.

Yup, I am scared.  I know my family is scared. But we will get through the day! We will get up in the morning, find the goodness inside, the humor outside, ask for Heavenly Father's help, rely on the faith, prayers and moral support of family and friends... and live... really live!

No comments:

Post a Comment