Monday, September 16, 2013

Day 32 - Mutant Genes! NOT!!

Dr. Clark's office called today with the results of the genetic testing to see if I carried the BRAC1 or BRAC2 genetic mutation.  I took a deep breath and asked if I was or was not a mutant.  Turns out that I am NOT a mutant Ninja!!  The genetic testing came back negative.  Another big WIN for Team Simpson!

I was very relieved to share this information with Steph and Tom this evening.   I'll weep for my aspirations for a becoming a mutant comic superhero later.

This news may present some potential choices in January's surgery.  However, we will need to biopsy a potential cancer area of the right breast that showed up on the MRI/PET/CT scans.  If it is positive then I'll definitely be having a bi-lateral mastectomy in January.  If it is negative then I have some additional options and calculated risks.  I'm also weighing the option of just having the bi-lateral mastectomy in order to minimize risk entirely.

Right now, I'm leaning towards minimizing risk entirely. 7300 Days seems easier to get to with fewer risk areas inside my body.

You can read more about BRAC1 and BRAC2 genetic testing here:
http://ww5.komen.org/breastcancer/genemutationsampgenetictesting.html

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear you don't have mutant genes, regular genes fit so much better. Options are good and you have some time to process information in order to make the right decision for your team. Go Fight Win...Yay team Simpson. KCA

    ReplyDelete