Friday, August 23, 2013

Rainbow Reminders

Many years ago, when Steph and Tom were still quite young, they loved spending time with my dad, Grandpa Everett.  Grandpa lived in Hawaii and came out to visit as often as he could.  Unfortunately, he died unexpectedly in 1997, when Stephie was about 6 and Tom was 3.


Picture by Joel Sartore
 
Stephie was old enough to understand a little about death and she wanted to understand where Grandpa went.  As we talked about life and death and Heavenly Father's plan for us, she asked, "Mom, what will Grandpa do in Heaven?".  I told her that I wasn't exactly sure, but I knew two things about Grandpa.  First, he would be working to improve things in Heaven.  Second, he would be watching over us and cheering us on from a distance.  Trying to frame it in a way she could understand, I told her that Grandpa was likely going to be working on rainbows because Stephie loved rainbows and Grandpa would want a way to remind her how much he loves her.  So, any time we saw a rainbow in the sky we could think of Grandpa and the work he is doing in heaven to help Heavenly Father and to watch over us.

That made sense to Stephie at the time and it comforted me every time I saw a rainbow after that.

Well, last Thursday, when I had to talk to the kids about this cancer journey, they were devastated.  As was I. But Stephie told me later that while we were talking (we were at the Bremerton Waterfront), she saw a rainbow in the sky and it reminded her that Grandpa was watching over us and that made her feel better.

It had been awhile since I'd see a rainbow and smiled towards my dad. I'm grateful for the small reminders that folks from both sides of the veil are working on our behalf to cheer us on and share their love with us on this journey called mortality.

Love you, Dad.  I hope it is another 7300+ days before we meet again, but I know you are cheering us on and building big reminders in the sky that you are here for us.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful...thanks for sharing. Interesting to me how when I access this blog, and try to find a way to ease your burden, I come away smiling and strengthened by you. Hope Tom and Steph realize what a treasure their mother is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just knowing you are there, praying and cheering us on is so helpful.

      Delete
  2. It always amazes me ... the strength we gain when we remember these special moments!! I truly believe he is watching over you!! You are an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Heavenly Father is in charge and both He and my dad are watching over us. Whatever comes our way, I just hope and pray that we'll have the love, vigilance, graciousness, and hope to follow His plan instead of injecting my own stubborn will.

      Delete