Saturday, August 17, 2013

Three Special Requests...

With so many wonderful friends and colleagues, the most frequent question I'm being asked right now is, "How can I help?"

I also have three special requests. 

  1. The most helpful thing you can do right now is to pray with us to have the strength, love, and humor we (Steph, Tom, and I) need for this detour.  I am a firm believer in a kind, loving, and humorous Heavenly Father who knows each of us and wants us to share in the joy of life.  Please especially keep Steph and Tom in your prayers. This is hardest on them.
  2. If I text, message, or call you and ask you for a joke, it is because I'm scared and I don't like to admit that I'm scared.  So, have a good joke ready.  Clean joke, please (that will be a challenge for a few of you).  If you can't think of a joke, share your favorite scripture.  Don't ask me what I'm scared about, just be there with a distraction, please.
  3. When you interact with my kids, please be sure to be positive with them.  Let them know that I am tough, I am resilient, and I am up for this fight. Let them know that you have seen me fight for what I think is right and that this fight is right! This fight is winnable!  I will fight to get to Day 7300.  I have every intention of being a 'neener neener' grandma and resource for my children in my old age.  Life is good.  Don't let my kids down.

Leslie has dibs on blonde jokes.
Naomi has dibs on scriptures because she thinks she isn't good with jokes.
What jokes do you want dibs on?

You can also help me pay life forward.  When you see someone struggling, help them up.  When you see a child in need, make a difference.  When you think that "they ought to do something about that", be the "they" and make it happen! When you see that scrap of trash on the trail, the steps, or the sidewalk, be the one to pick it up and put it in the trash can.
 
If you know me at all, you know I am fiercely independent.  It will be hard to ask for help.  There may come a time when I need to ask for help or accept help.  I have promised my friends that I will do that if/when it becomes necessary.  But right now, I am feeling great, have great insurance, a good job, and lots of emotional support from all of you.  Please know that I know that you care.  Let me be independent for as long as I can (which will hopefully be through Day 7300) and I promise I will ask for help when I need it.

By the way, 7300 days is 20 years. That is my goal.  Anything after that is gravy and I like gravy.  GO TEAM SIMPSON!




4 comments:

  1. Kathy, such sobering news from you, but thank you for sharing with your friends in such a thoughtful way. Your name will be in the Kyiv Ukraine Temple starting tomorrow and in my own personal prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Prayers in any language are universal. :-)

      Delete
  2. Kathy! I'm just catching up and I just can't believe it. I'm sorry you'll have to fight this battle, but I can tell you are not going to let it bring you down. I love how positive you are! Your strength has always been an inspiration to me. Add our prayers to your team! I'd love to help any other way I can too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I am pretty humbled by the amazing circle of friends in my life. This team won't lose!

      Delete